The Under-rated Deli Board

Deli board: Decksteppers, Polzeath, Cornwall
It’s time to pay homage to the mother of throw it together meals – the deli board. I don’t know why this isn’t more of a thing. To start with there’s the convenience - eating off a chopping board is ideal for student living (think washing up) and yet the gorgeous colours and fresh ingredients could easily trick you into thinking you are dining at a posh hotel. I eat this all year round, for lunch or dinner, and it’s so easy to recreate. I only wish there were more traditional deli's in the UK!

Then there’s the sharing element. Without fail, my boyfriend and I always talk ourselves into getting the deli board/share platter on date night if it’s on the menu. You can pick and choose the bits that you don’t like and squabble over the last piece of Parma ham, which is so fun. The picture shows him tucking into some cheese after a morning sea swim. For my (very few!) local readers I would recommend the Water Witch in Lancaster for their six item deli board. Their chutney is wonderful and there are some really great cheeses in our area.

Whether you are a health freak or a cheese fiend the deli board is for you (I like to think I am somewhere between the two!). The ingredients look so rich that people may have their reservations, and when I use the taboo word ‘fat’ it used to send people running to the hills. But finally the world is coming to its senses and realising fat is not the enemy – sugar is (see the cook book I Quit Sugar). Fat that you eat does not equal fat on your body and in small proportions it is good for you! Hallelujah! Fat-rant aside - you can trust the deli board because it is so fresh and interchangeable that you know exactly what’s what. Don’t even get me started on how great the protein is for your energy levels.

So embrace the cheese and meat, like the French, and say au revoir to plastic white bread sarnies for lunch.


Ingredients to try:
Chorizo, Ham selection, Smoked Salmon, Pate, Local cheeses, Mozzarella, Chutney, Olives, Salad, Tomatoes, Avocado, Ciabatta or Focaccia Bread

Powered by Blogger.